SHIN SPLINTS TREATMENT
Firstly, you must get a diagnosis from a health professional such as a Sports Podiatrist as shin splints is merely a term that groups many different conditions into one term. Even with a correct diagnosis, treating shin splints can be difficult and prolonged.
Treatment is always based around reducing the pain, inflammation and activity, such as –
- Stop running and perform low impact activities to remain fit. Swimming, cycling, rowing, etc. are great options.
- Apply ice to affected areas for 15 -20 minutes for as much as 4 times a day, especially after activity.
- Take anti-inflammatory medication as recommended by a doctor.
- Sometimes a walking boot is indicated and should compartment pressure be elevated, surgery may be required.
- Have your foot mechanics & footwear assessed to see if they are a contributing factor – they play a major part in shin splints & sometimes changing shoes or orthotics can solve the problem.
At Orthotic Solutions Podiatry, our experienced Sports Podiaty team can assess your shoes and your running mechanics to give you an honest opinion on whether they are a factor.
Not everyone needs custom orthotics and we won’t waste your time or take your money if they won’t be beneficial for you. Watch this video for information about our orthotics and our practice policies. Click here for our Google Reviews.
However, if you do need custom orthotics, all review consultations are gap free for the first 12 months and the structural components of the orthotics are guaranteed to last more than 4 years.
The suburban Sydney podiatrists at Orthotic Solutions Podiatry are here to help you put your best foot forward and can set you on the path to recovery if you are suffering from shin splints. Call 1300 1 2 FEET to make an appointment or you can book online.